Unfortunately when choosing a brush for wall painting we don’t pay much attention to details; but sometimes when we get home we understand that the brush we chose is not so “comfortable”. First of all you have to know that there are different paint brushes. And choosing the right one is essential.
- Paint and varnish brushes
- Antistatic brushes
- Paste brushes for wallpaper
- Brushes for whitewash
- Brushes for sills etc.
There are two types of brushes (from the point of view of quality):
- Natural bristle brush
It is better to choose natural bristle brush for oil based paints. Therefore it is the best choice when you want to paint with varnish or any type of protective coating. To clean these kind of brushes wash them with a special solution or turpentine.
- Synthetic bristle paint brush
These brushes are recommended for latex based paint, because they will keep their shape and hardness. To clean brushes after using them, wash them with warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly and let them dry. So you can use them again whenever you need.
Brush size that you have to buy depends on the surface you want to paint:
- For interior walls and ceiling, use brushes with widths between 7-10 cm
- For large exterior surfaces, use a broad brush about 10 cm thick and up to 2.5 cm
- On the heels of windows (both interior and exterior) use 2.5-4 cm wide brushes, with a wide-angle effect
- For wood painting, whether inside or outside, you need 2.5-4 cm wide brush
- If you want to paint in corners use a brush 5 cm wide, with sharp edges.
Hope these tips will help you to save money and time!
Till the next 'HOW TO' :)